Tuesday, January 5, 2010

BluBlockers

So, my brother says I don't have a face for them and I feel safer if I peek out from under the rims as I go through intersections... but, man, do I love my BluBlockers.



I think I accrued my first pair from my little brother but the relationship was not to be and had terminated by Mule Day.
I hadn't been to Mule Day in five years... the last one had a horrendous outcome and so only losing my shades was actually a triumph of sorts.

The pair that currently conceals my peepers came to me honestly and they have brightened my days in many aspects.
Through my eyes, 2010 is as vague and abstract as the concept of world peace.  I am now thrown back into my reveries of the seventies... I was there, you know. The tint of the lenses, orange, turns time back almost as effectively as my wagon's clock.  The world appears to have been reupholstered in swaths of mustard, off-white and bow-hunter orange trimmed in dark, lacquered woodgrain.  A Polaroid rediscovered in the attic; it had been waiting for this moment... to remind of simpler technology and revolutionary music.

My uncle wraps our gifts in art.
Collages, riddles and magnets twirl and slide around our presents and always cause concern when the time comes to opening them.  Some of the best ones come with an old photo long discarded by anyone who could serve jury duty for the subject.  My brother and I proudly display them on our refrigerators and attempt to pass them off as kin.  They do look like worthwhile folk and have been the topic of many late-night conversations.
My uncle and his creations are major sources of inspiration for my art.









No comments:

Post a Comment